It's Friday. It's time to stop, write, post, and share a little love. And after the week we've had ... perhaps this is needed more now than some other Fridays in recent memory.
Here's how it works.
1. Write for 5 minutes on the prompt (AKA word of the week)
2. Link up over here
3. Click on the post of the person who linked up before you. Read it. Give them a little pick-me-up. That's the best part. Encourage someone today. You'll be glad you did. You might even find a little encouragement for yourself along the way.
Ready? This week we're writing on:
JUMP.
Go.
So often, jump is used for good. Afraid to try something new? Jump in. Ready to begin a playdate in the pool? Jump into the water. Skydiving? Jump out the door. Starting an exercise routine? Jump to it.
But today, I feel like I saw the best, and the worst, of jumping in all at the same time.
Law enforcement in Boston: they jumped into hot pursuit of the bombing suspects. One officer gave his life. These brave folks jumped at the call. That's why we have them, and I am so thankful. They stayed hot on the trail, they pursued, and they got their man. This? This is as good as jump ever gets.
But ... did you see the news? The false reports? the bad info. Mixed in with the good. That... that is jumping in the worst way. Putting information out before verified. Needing to be first more than needing to be right. That jumping makes me crazy. That can cause pandemonium. And who needs added chaos on top of what a situation has already presented?
I'm glad the suspect is in custody. I am thankful for EVERY SINGLE PERSON who made that possible. The officers, the citizens of Boston, the person who called and said "I think he's here" when HERE was outside the perimeter. You all are heroes.
For the rest of us ... let's not jump to conclusions. Believe in the system. Let justice run its course. Ask questions, pray for the victims and the survivors. Stand with Boston. Stand tall. Stand proud. Stand united. But STAND. Don't jump off the deep end.
Stop.
I thought of those same things regarding Boston and the people who were brave and courageous and jumped in to help.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your last line!! Thank you!
Bless you dear.
ReplyDeleteGreat capture of events and sage advice!
ReplyDeleteGreat post. The jumping to conclusions this week was detrimental. Old school journalism of getting it rights seems to be replaced by a "who's on first?" mentality. Even when they retract, they say "CNN was erroneously told..."
ReplyDeleteI also like the idea of standing with Boston. I live far away, but my heart wrenches for everyone there.
Laura Hedgecock
http://www.TreasureChestofMemories.com
http://www.Twitter.com/LauraLHedgecock