Raising Nats Fans

Raising Nats Fans

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Girls' Night Out (Behind the Scenes)

It's Behind the Scenes Tuesday. Link up here to play along.  (further details at the end of the post)



The photo:
The story:
I met up with my friend Amy on Sunday night for dinner. Met her at in(RL) last year, and while we live less than 20 minutes apart, we just don't get together like we should.  My kids are away this week, so I decided it was high time we made some girl time. Turns out Amy's been in the midst of a move and she needed an escape from the parade of cardboard boxes. Perfect timing.

We had a lovely dinner filled with laughter and catch up conversation, and grown up share your heart conversation. None of it interrupted with "mom, can you please ... " We both love our kids more than you can imagine, but dinner was a welcome respite. After dinner, the humidity had broken a little bit, and we had a few extra minutes, so we decided to grab coffee, sit by the fountain and continue the conversation. I think I rocked Amy's world a little bit with the plethora of movies I've missed seeing so far, but she gave me a wonderful list of films to start with. And I've found a chick-flick kindred spirit.

Then, lightning streaked across the sky. Looked like a storm was brewing in a hurry. So we got up and started the walk back to our cars. And that is when the evening took a turn we weren't expecting. There's a divot in the crosswalk. A sneaky little hidden divot. Just the right size for part of my foot. And so, in the middle of the street, I went sprawling. Flat out on the ground.  (My OneWord 365 is grace. I have learned that this is not the same as graceFUL.) Scraped up my knee, both my palms, and wounded my pride. Because there was a whole family walking up the sidewalk that saw it happen. How embarrassing. Amy helped me collect myself, and all my stuff that had strewn across the street - keys, leftovers from dinner - coffee cup (thankful it was empty!), and then we had a great laugh. And the first thing we both thought of was "oh, this will make a great story for Crystal's link on Tuesday."  The serene picture of two friends who've enjoyed a lovely night out - after one of those friends has collected the other from being face down in the street.

Thanks, Amy, for your friendship and for putting me back together. Side note: both my shoes AND my skirt survived the fall intact. My knee is down to one band-aid and only one hand is still bandaged. Should be good as new by tomorrow.

My mom always says if you can laugh about it later, you might as well laugh about it now. Mission accomplished all the way home Sunday night.


For those of you who wonder... WHAT IS THE "BEHIND THE SCENES" LINK UP? 
Social media and online relationships can make us feel like everyone else has it all together. We're edited, proof-read, Pinterest-perfect versions of ourselves  (or so some might think!) when - in reality? There is an unfinished pile of laundry around the corner. That cute toddler smiling for the camera just had a massive meltdown seconds ago. That yummy breakfast-for-dinner you just showed us on Instagram? It's because the cat licked the chicken that was supposed to be for dinner. 

"Behind the Scenes" is a fun link up where we show those photos - but tell the real story behind them. The sneak peek behind the scenes, a look past the edges of the photo to the real life behind it. 

You're invited to join in - we'll write up our posts & link up on Tuesdays! Read more here!

12 comments:

  1. I'm not likely to forget that night for more reasons than the fall. Imagine the stories if we did this more often. I'm game! :). Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! Let's do it soon! So thankful for you :)

      Delete
  2. "if you can laugh about it later, you might as well laugh about it now."

    That is terrific advice. I'm holding on to that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! it gets me through a LOT of moments :)

      Delete
  3. OK, first I have to tell you I'm jealous that you and Amy live so close to each other, because Amy is someone I'm dying to meeting face to face. We've already discovered via FMF that we have a lot in common and I just know we'd be best buddies.

    Anyway, I love your BTS story and your ability to laugh at yourself. I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself too badly. And I love your mom's advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for reading. Amy is a gem!! Hope you guys get to link up inRL sometime.

      Delete
  4. That's some great advice. I'll remember it next time I have a klutzy moment...which will probably be sometime today. :) Glad you didn't get hurt too badly! Have a great day, friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! so glad you popped over here. 5 days later and I am just about back to normal. (time for a new scrape. LOL)

      Delete
  5. "if you can laugh about it later, you might as well laugh about it now" Such awesome advice. I am not graceful at all so I understand the wounded pride. Glad you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you stopped by, Amy! Pleased to report that the bandaids are all gone. :)

      Delete
  6. Um..you had dinner with one of my FAVORITE people :) And you were right - this made an awesome story for my link up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard from a birdie that you live close. As in close enough that we could meet for lunch with Amy, too! Let's plan something! :)

      Delete