Raising Nats Fans

Raising Nats Fans

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Comfort (Five Minute Friday)

It's Five Minute Friday (on Thursday this week, to catch last Friday) and again tomorrow (for the real deal). I'm squeaking in with less than 2 hours until linking deadline. Oh, well.  Still made it, and that works for me. I'm not writing for anyone but me, anyway. Which is why I can't bear to skip this week. I've enjoyed taking a few minutes a week to think about something specific outside the collective delightful hodge-podge we call life.

Here's the very simple rules:
1. write for 5 minutes on the prompt. no backtracking, editing, re-working. Just slam it out there.
2. link up here with Lisa-Jo and a few hundred other lovlies.
3. leave the writer before you a little encouragement.



 COMFORT.
As a mama, I find myself needing (and wanting) to give comfort to my littles - when they've had a bad day, or a tough argument with each other. When they've got an owie or when I need a little myself. I'm surprised at how different comfort looks for each of them, even at this age, though. (but really, should I be surprised? We were each created to be a little bit different while a little bit the same from everyone else).

S loves to hug my neck and bury her eyes when she needs some extra comfort. She gets hurt emotionally a lot more than she gets hurt physically. She's sensitive and caring, this one. Reminds me a lot of me when I was little. (Who am I kidding. I still get teary eyed at Hallmark commercials for pete's sake. She reminds me a lot of me even now.)

A, though, needs me to kiss the places. To pray over them. "Mama, we need to tell God to make my leg better". And this one, she's a rough and tumble girl. More scrapes than I can count. More shredded legging-knees than I care to remember. She needs to look out at the world, though, even when she needs to be held close. Instead of burying eyes and waiting to feel better before looking forward, she's surveying what her next mission will be, even while she's not healed or recovered from the one that landed her needing a mama kiss to make it OK.

So different, yet still seeking comfort in the same place. Different ways, different needs, but the same comfort from the same mama.

Stop.



1 comment:

  1. Oh I love this!!!! How sweet!!!! And a good reminder that our needs are met in different ways. Visiting from FMF!

    ReplyDelete