Raising Nats Fans

Raising Nats Fans

Friday, May 17, 2013

Song (Five Minute Friday)

Hello Friday! Hello writers! It's time to stop, drop, and write for 5 minutes on the word of the week. Throw it out there and write with abandon. No editing, no over thinking. Just ready, set, go. Then when you are done, link up over here. Then read a post, or two (or twenty, or keep going) before you, and leave a little encouragement for another brave writer. Have fun, share the love. And then enjoy your weekend.

Ready? Great. Here's my 5 minutes on

SONG

Today my baby ("A") graduated from pre-K. Can't believe she will be in kindergarten in the fall - where does the time go? At the graduation, the class sang us tons of songs. Showing off what they had learned all year, and sharing their delight in the trickiness of tongue twisters and the allure of alliteration.

We had songs for all seasons and beginnings and endings. English and Spanish. But my favorites were the songs for the letters of the alphabet. Oh, yes, we had 26 songs. One for each lovely letter. Some I had heard throughout the spring as "A" clearly loved them and sang them over-and-over-and-over again. A few I'd never heard her sing at all.

I love how excited they were to share these with us.
A is for Alice who met an alligator....
Bubba's best buddy was bingo the bear, bubba was bingo's best friend ...
Can you bake a cake ...

but my favorite of all was "I" (sing to tune of Oh my darling Clementine)

In an igloo, on an island, in a sea of icy water
Lived an inchworm named Ignacius and his itsy bitsy daughter
She was smaller than an inkblot and her name was Isabell.
She didn't need a cradle because she slept in a sea shell.

Glee from all 18 kids in the class as they sang at the top of their lungs.  I think that's my favorite way to sing, too - loud and with joy. Not caring if you're 100% on key because that can be work, but this was all fun.

Stop.

PS  Proud mama tonight. Here's my little grad:
of course, wearing her Nationals Zimmerman shirt. Because after all, I am raising Nats fans!

6 comments:

  1. So, so sweet! My girl is finishing up 7th grade this year but I can still see her at her Pre-K program, proudly sharing her part in the program. Sweet, sweet memories.

    Visiting from Five Minute Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Teri Lynne. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. The english major in me is overjoyed by this line: "the trickiness of tongue twisters and the allure of alliteration"..I was delighted :) Also...um...can we still be friends if I confess that we are an Orioles household? (he is a Bryce Harper fan though, and we see a lot of the up & coming Nats players when we go to Senators games)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm. ok, yes I can forgive the O's fan :) How fun to go to the Senators games. We love all things baseball, and my kids asked to go to Baltimore in August so we can see the Mariners series (the Nats traded one of their players to the Ms and my girls miss him. ha, ha).

      So glad you stopped by, and that's all the English alliteration I have in me. You hit me on just the right day :)

      Delete
  3. So great! What else would an inchworm be named by Ignacious! I agree singing for the joy of singing is much better than worrying if you're on key.

    Sweet sweet memories is right!

    Laura Hedgecock
    http://www.TreasureChestofMemories.com
    http://www.Twitter.com/LauraLHedgecock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping over, Laura! We're dreaming of those inchworms tonight.

      Delete