It's time for Five Minute Friday. Where we follow 3 easy rules and write from the heart for 5 quick minutes.
1. Set your timer and write for 5 minutes on the word of the week. Typos welcome. Don't backtrack, edit, or overthink. Just toss it out there.
2. Link up here with Lisa-Jo and the rest of the writing crowd
3. Visit the post of the brave writer who linked before you and leave them a little encouragement. That's the best part of FMF. Come play along with us!
Small.
Sometimes it's the smallest things that make the largest difference in our lives. September 3, 1994 was one of those days for me. It was a Saturday. (How do I remember? I overslept my alarm clock. For maybe the first time ever). I was supposed ot go on the band road trip to Alasbama that day. (story for another day). we were leaving at oh-dark-30 and I overslept. Woke up and was sad. Oh so sad, for missing all the fun, and for not making the bus I'd promised to be on.
Turned out it was the best oversleeping day ever. Because instead of spending my birthday with the band at a game (and really, there's no place I'd rather be than with my band friends), I had a day back on campus as a freshman, still figuring out my place in the owrld. And in the midst of that, I went for a walk with a new friend, and we had a really long, long and deep, deep talk. By deep, I mean the deepest there is. Kind of random with a little freshman girl and this older senior guy. But it was all part of a bigger plan than I could see that morning. because after that talk with that friend, the light went on. And I realized that I was not where I should be, and yet in the very place I should be all at the same time.
And late that night, on my 18th birthday, I got saved. Asked Jesus into my heart and my life has never been the same since. For once, I can say with great rejoicing, I am thankful to have overslept my alarm. Without that, I'd not be the woman I am today.
Stop.
It is amazing to look back and realize how one small detail can change a life's trajectory. Stopping by with Five Minute Friday and glad you shared today. :)
ReplyDelete~ "Nita" at www.loveandlaundryblog.wordpress.com
So cool to see the hand of God at work.
ReplyDeleteGreat post.
Jen - Chris shared your post and I found your blog! Yeah! That was a special time with all of its ups and downs! So many memories, mistakes and life learning moments. The Lord knew where you needed to be that day and it wasn't in Alabama.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday!
Thanks, Maeve! So good to hear from you :) Hope you and the family are well. Maybe we'll see you at reunion? Thanks again for all the memories :) :)
Delete