Raising Nats Fans

Raising Nats Fans

Friday, August 2, 2013

Story (Five Minute Friday)

On Friday, we write just for the sake of writing. Pour out your heart, with no editing, backtracking, overthinking. Just toss it out there and go on with your day.  There's a bunch of folks who've been doing it for over 2 years! I've been at it since January, more or less, and it's my favorite part of Friday (or whatever day I manage to do it. Sometimes I'm late.)   Step-by-step directions at the bottom. Come write with us!

This week's word: STORY.

Go.

For so many people, the story is about the what. What is going on in your life. What are you doing. Etc. But for me, it's about the HOW. You know, when I find an author I like to read, it's ont usually because I like what he's writing about (though that does sometimes serve as the reason I try an author the first time). It's because I like how he writes. How he tells the story. How he weaves the words together.  I can read all kinds of random stories by the same author because I like how he chooses to describe something.  Sometimes an author changes the HOW about his writing. And then I'm not interested as much. (My friend was posting about this on facebook just theother day. An author she'd enjoyed took a side track for about 10 years and changed his how, and she couldn't read him anymore. She tried the most recent novel this week, and he'd returned to the how she'd loved so much - and she couldn't put the book down).

That's how I want my life story to read. There are LOTS of women walking similar paths to mine. Divorced, kids, figuring out life all over again - some with faith, some without, all with a tough journey ahead, all with a different method to get through every day. But how I do it is important to me. My girls won't remember the what we did all the time. In fact, I imagine they'll forget a LOT of the what.

My fervent prayer is that they remember HOW Mommy did it. And that I always choose a how that I want them to follow. With that in mind, my intention every morning is to write my story, day by day, with words penned in grace. Grace isn't always the easy route. It's not always the fun route. It's not always the shortest route. But always, always, grace is the right route.

So today, I choose to pick up my pen of grace, and write a new page in my story.


Stop.

As promised, here's how you can join the Five Minute Friday friends.

1.Check what the prompt is on Lisa-Jo's blog.
2.Write a post in only five minutes on that topic on your blog (or in the comments at the bottom if you don’t have a blog).
3.Link over here and invite friends to join in.
4.Select the permalink to your post {so not your blog url www.lisajobaker.com but your post url http://lisajobaker.com/2013/08/five-minute-friday-story}
5.Using the blue linky tool at the bottom of my Five Minute Friday post enter your link.
6.It will also walk you through selecting which photo you want to show up in the linky.
7.Your post will show up in our Five Minute Friday linky.

Our most important requirement for participation: There’s really only one absolute, no ifs, ands or buts about it Five Minute Friday rule: you must visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.

6 comments:

  1. Jen, I'm so glad you were my FMF neighbor. You've hit the nail on the head. Thank you for writing this--I really needed to read it tonight. Bless you! ~Elizabeth, http://takingshapeslowly.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Elizabeth. Glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  2. I really liked your words: "write my story, day by day, with words penned in grace. Grace isn't always the easy route. It's not always the fun route. It's not always the shortest route. But always, always, grace is the right route."

    Words penned in grace ... extending grace to others .. and hopefully to ourselves as well. And I believe you are right, extending grace is always the right thing to do. He would want us to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stopping over! I think you're right, that He always wants us to extend grace. And I am so thankful he does for us!

      Delete
  3. Oh, friend, this is wonderful. I so want to be about the HOW in everything. HOW is also one of my favorite things to read or watch. Process/technique/style is fascinating to me - it should definitely apply to living! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, friend! I miss you! We need to get together soon. No tripping this time :)

      Delete