Time to reflect again. On where my journey has gone in May. As much as I am lousy about posting on time, I am still in the window, and reflecting each month on the journey this year has allowed me to see things I might not have - to notice effects of my word focus that I would likely miss when I do my end-of-year lookback. Because without pausing now to actually write them down, I am not sure I would even catch them. Lost in the other parts of my life.
May has been a WHIRLWIND. Birthdays and parties and SOL exams and baseball and end of school.
** SIDEBAR. SOLs are Standards of Learning exams, I think but in reality they're an attempt by the state of Virginia to see what our 3rd grade - and higher - children have learned, and they cause a LOT of stress. This is my 3rd grader's first year and she's so afraid of not following directions that this is what I got:
S: "mom, my teacher said we need to go to bed EARLY the night before the test."
(my thought: this is likely geared at the parents who let their kids stay up late... but my kids already go to bed at 7:30?!)
me: I think we will be ok sticking to 7:30, sweetie
S: MOM! MOM! no, I will get in SOOOOOOOO much trouble if I don't go to bed early. and I might not do well on the test. what if I fall asleep?!
me: ok, well what time do you think is appropriate, then?
S: 6:30. I think that will work.
me: (stunned silence) wellll, ok, if you think that is what you need?
**END SIDEBAR**
But as I look back at May, there's another journey we got to celebrate. One that has nothing to do with where I am, what I'm learning, where I am going. And it is just as important as all of those things.
My little brother graduated from college this month. It's been a long journey for him to get there. I am so proud of him. Graduating with honors. It is not my place to share his story. But it is totally my place to brag on his accomplishments! Recipient of the Bachelor of Arts degree, with a double major in History and Political & Governmental Affairs, CUM LAUDE. So here are a few pictures with the family: my kids, my folks, and the graduate.
Congratulations, Jeff! You worked hard for this - you put your heart into it - and it shows. I am so proud of what you have become and what you have accomplished. Thanks for allowing us to be a part of YOUR journey. I love you!
-------------
Linking up with the One Word 365 check ins over here.


No comments:
Post a Comment